Sunday, December 31, 2017

December 31, 2017 A Project Completed

For the past 18 months, since June 21, 2016, there have been very few days when “Snippet From the Past” has not been on my mind. Finding events to fit dates, finding Dewitt’s Diary items, researching, writing, editing, posting, and all the other tasks to complete a goal of 200 items for the Town of Covert Bicentennial.
Suddenly it’s over. I’m writing the blog for the last day.
Thank you to some very special people who have helped along the way. My sisters Barb and Peggy who from the beginning said yes to helping with editing and proofing. I don’t think any of us realized the task I, we, were undertaking.
My son Christopher for offering feedback from the beginning. My daughter Nicole who wrote one of the articles. My daughter Sonja, who was born after Dewitt died so there is no diary entry tied directly to her.
To all those who inspired ideas, helped with look-ups, loaned books, articles, photos and artifacts, thank you for being there along the way. If I were to try listing names someone would be forgotten. You know who you are, and your help has been greatly appreciated, especially when I would wonder how the project was going, or what needed to be added.
Did I meet the goals I set for myself? Pretty much. There are 201 items including the two preludes published December 28 and 31, 2016.
As for the goal of adding something to the body of community history, from the feedback of several people, yes, that goal was met.
If you, like me, are now asking the question what’s next? that is an open question. I have ideas, but for now, I’m in the process of returning all of the items borrowed from the museum and other organizations which have lived at my house so they were close at hand. No doubt other projects will present themselves, and I’ll again take up pen and paper.
Occasionally, I hope to post a new Snippet or two, but for now, please enjoy the ones posted. If you think of a topic or event that wasn’t included, and yes, there is a list of dates and/or events which didn’t make the original list, please share with me. Who knows, it might be the next Snippet.
While December 31st is the end of one year, it is also the springboard to the new year. Wishing one and all a Happy New Year and Blessed 2018.

Dewitt’s Diary, Wednesday, December 31, 1919
Ground froze this morning.
Eva is helping Edna iron.
Split 2 cords of wood this afternoon.
Edna dear called her mother this afternoon.
Lem drawed a load of wood down to Shanks and to Myron’s house.
Edna and I was married a month ago today. She likes it very much on the farm and is not homesick so she says.
Dewitt’s Diary Thursday, December 31, 1981
Temperature 32 to 34 all day.
Did not get much done.
Shelled out another lot of beans. Also picked over some beans.
Sold over 360 pounds of hand-picked marrows [beans].

No comments:

Post a Comment