Thursday, April 20, 2017

April 20, 1930 First Lamb Born on the Farm

Today’s snippet begins a year earlier on April 23, 1929. Home at 4 o’clock this morning. 91 suckers weighing 18 pounds. W. H. Lyke of Avoca brought my sheep today. 30 Delane yearlings. One has a lamb. They are a nice flock. The weather is cool and a drying wind. Burned brush in orchard this afternoon.
April 25, 1929, Rain all day. I sorted potatoes this morning. My sheep are doing nicely they are a fine lot.
I let them out in the orchard a few minutes yesterday. Went over to Jay Miller’s this evening. Rain some tonight.
April 28, 1929 Fair today. Snow flurries tonight. Cold all day. Hedley and I are plowing. It plows very nice. Edna set a hen on 5 wild goose eggs today. One goose is laying. My sheep are doing fine.
Undated photo in Dewitt's photo album. The label notes Delane and Southcross sheep
Interlaken Historical Society collections, papers of D. C. Bassett

Dewitt’s Diary, Sunday April 20, 1930
Easter Sunday. My first lamb was born this morning. Warmer today.
I shot two wood chucks today.

April 23, 1930
I have had ten young lambs born since Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment